Initial meeting and action plan for the Initiative: Dialogue with migrants, refugees and asylum seekers
While analyzing the situation of refugees, migrants and asylum seekers in Bosnia and Herzegovina we have identified several characteristics:
- Beside big organizations (IOM, UNHCR, World Vision, Save the children, ICRC etc.) there are volunteer groups who try to help in the best way they can
- Local communities on the border between Bosnia and Herzegovina and Croatia are facing an situation which is beyond their capacity to react in an constructive way
- Shelters are organized although there is space for improvement in the life conditions
- There is lack of positive reports in public media broadcasters (most of the reports are negative)
- There is no concrete and a coherent public policy to deal with this problems.
Having in mind some of the above mentioned characteristics we have identified the need for a dialogue between the domestic communities and the groups of refugees, migrants and asylum seekers. This dialogue could be crucial in demystifying motives and reasons of their stay in Bosnia and Herzegovina and reducing fear and hate speech by the domestic population.
Therefore, the main aim this activity was to gather interested individuals and to share ideas and experiences in the work with migrants, refugees and asylum seekers in Bosnia and Herzegovina. The intention was to establish a network of active individuals in order to plan and realize activities which will foster an open dialogue between refugees, migrants and asylum seeks on one side and the asylum seekers. The meeting was attended by coordinators of volunteering groups which will work further in developing a more concrete project and strengthening this initiative.